Storyist Forums

pop up menu

dennis7490

Hello again,

Not to worry. I'm getting the hang of it. it just takes me a while.

Anyway.

PROJECT 1

INT. ETC.

INT. ETC.

So, I'm in the text of PROJECT 1. I hit return after an action line. I type INT. It does not come up as another scene. I delete, go back to the end of the action line, hit return. Hit return again and the menu pops up. I choose SCENE HEADING. It just stays there, highlighted.

But, if i go down below to the lower bar and use that pop up menu and choose SCENE HEADING it works and adds the scene to the list.

I thought that if I hit return after an action line and began typing INT. my options for scenes would come up automatically. Am i wrong?

Thanks,

Dennis

I thought that if I hit return after an action line and began typing INT. my options for scenes would come up automatically. Am i wrong?

Hi Dennis

If you're at the end of an Action and hit return, you get another Action line (check the placards at the bottom of the screen). Typing INT just tells Storyist that your Action begins with the letters "INT". Instead of typing INT just hit return again. That will bring a pop-up from which you can choose Character or whatever.

As a general rule for scripts, always check the bottom of the screen. The two placards after the page display tell you (1) what mode you're in (Action, Character, Dialog, etcetera) and (2) what comes next if you hit tab or return. Remember, a return in a blank line will get you a pop-up. Clicking on that first placard will also get you a pop-up but with shortcuts also displayed.

Play with it a bit. It'll come easy after a few minutes.

-Thoth

Thoth,

Thanks.

But, that is exactly what I do. I hit return twice and I get a pop up screen. I choose SCENE HEADING. It highlights SCENE HEADING, and then it just stays there, highlighted.

But, if i go to the bottom of the screen and use that pop up menu and choose SCENE HEADING it works fine.

So, let me get this straight. As I'm writing, when I get to the end f an action line and hit return, the program does not default to a SCENE HEADING even if I type in INT. ?

THANKS,

DENNIS

Archived