Storyist Forums

Open specific items in specific view panes?

orrenm

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is incredibly simple and I'm just not getting it, or if it's not currently possible. I have my basic workspace split into three panes: the project menu, and two view panes. What I would like to do is configure Storyist so that when I click a manuscript item in the project menu, it always opens in the middle view pane (see #1 in screenshot), and when I click on a Character, Setting, or Image item in the project menu, it always opens in the right view pane (see #2 in screenshot).

splitnav.jpg

Is this possible? No menu option or preference seems to let me configure this behavior, and I couldn't figure out from the manual or help if I could do it or not.

Thanks!

Orren

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is incredibly simple and I'm just not getting it, or if it's not currently possible. I have my basic workspace split into three panes: the project menu, and two view panes. What I would like to do is configure Storyist so that when I click a manuscript item in the project menu, it always opens in the middle view pane (see #1 in screenshot), and when I click on a Character, Setting, or Image item in the project menu, it always opens in the right view pane (see #2 in screenshot).

splitnav.jpg

Is this possible? No menu option or preference seems to let me configure this behavior, and I couldn't figure out from the manual or help if I could do it or not.

Thanks!

Orren

This isn't currently possible, but I like the idea. Let me think about how an interface for this might play out. The issue is in identifying the target view. Currently the views aren't named, and depending on your configuration, you may have multiple splits.

If you have ideas, lets move this to the feature requests thread and get some feedback from others.

-Steve

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this very simple? Just click on the pane you want the view to appear in before you click on the Project line. (E.g., click on first pane then click on chapter 12; click on second pane then click on character Ruth Fischer.)

Or am I missing something?

- Thoth.

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this very simple? Just click on the pane you want the view to appear in before you click on the Project line. (E.g., click on first pane then click on chapter 12; click on second pane then click on character Ruth Fischer.)

Hi Thoth,

No, clearly I'm missing something! Thanks for pointing that out! As a matter of fact, I had noticed that if I was working in one pane or the other, whatever I clicked in the project menu would end up in that pane. Unfortunately my poor addled brain hadn't made the connection that I could simply click into the other pane, click the character, then click back.

Or am I missing something?

- Thoth.

All that you are missing is noticing that I can miss the blindingly obvious. ;)

However: you did point out to me that in fact, what I'm asking for is a "workflow enhancement." If you are currently writing your manuscript in the middle pane, and wish to open a character in the right pane in order to have some information in front of you, but continue working in the middle pane, to do this is a three step process:

1) Click the mouse from the middle pane to the right pane

2) Click on the desired character in the project menu

3) Click back into the middle pane

What I would like to see is a simplified workflow, so that I don't need to click away then click back.

I will continue this thought in the Feature Request section. :)

Thanks!

Orren

Hi, Orren:

You may also want to explore the Workspaces feature a bit. For example, you can split the main window, keep your document there, and click on the right pane and open your full list of characters there. Then go to Window > Workspaces > Add New Workspace and give it a name. Change the right pane to list Settings and repeat.

Then, whenever you want to see document + characters or document + settings, click on the Workspaces icon in the Toolbar and choose your workspace. Storyist will snap the screen back to the state where it was when you created the workspace. You can double-click on a character to see that individual and get back to the full list with the back button or by choosing Characters from the list next to the back and forward buttons.

It's a lot simpler than it sounds, and once you've gone the three- or four-click route once, you don't have to do it again.

Best,

Marguerite

• 3 years later...

Hi People,

Sorry to say that it is me again!

I am trying to split my workspace into four, like he does (so fast!) in the demo!!! I wish to have

left PROJECT then manuscript in OUTLINE VIEW then column on right my PLOT THREADS and along the bottom my MANUSCRIPT in text form.

I have watched the developer and his shortcuts over and over in the script demo but I cant catch how he does it!

Bleh! I will get this!!!!

PP

Archived