Storyist Forums

Can I Hit 50K?

Steve E

Can I hit 50,000 words?

Heck yeah!

I'm already over 40K (no brag, just fact) and I'm pretty sure, baring distractions like eating and sleeping, I will hit 50K by Monday evening (some brag, possible fact).

When this started on November 1, I honestly wasn't sure I could do this.

Now? I'm all revved up.

- Super Thoth.

Can I hit 50,000 words?

Heck yeah!

I'm already over 40K (no brag, just fact) and I'm pretty sure, baring distractions like eating and sleeping, I will hit 50K by Monday evening (some brag, possible fact).

When this started on November 1, I honestly wasn't sure I could do this.

Now? I'm all revved up.

- Super Thoth.

God I'm in a bad place right now I just cleared 30k and I feel I dunno frustrated, I'm behind, the story is not flowing is faster, I dunno. :D

God I'm in a bad place right now I just cleared 30k and I feel I dunno frustrated, I'm behind, the story is not flowing is faster, I dunno. :)

Take a break. Don't think about it for a few hours. Then think about some other story and then think about a fusion of the two. It worked for me at the 30K barrier.

:D

- Thoth

Take a break. Don't think about it for a few hours. Then think about some other story and then think about a fusion of the two. It worked for me at the 30K barrier.

;)

- Thoth

I just banged out 1k with that new writing program, the difference of it is making me think clear. I'm not out of the woods yet, maybe an all nighter tonight will at least catch me up.

I'm just glad I have other people to talk about this with on this site, it's very nice.

I dont know if it was your post Thoth, my finding the Ommwriter software or a combination of the two but tonight (I'm going to bed soon been up writing) I knocked out 6 THOUSAND words putting me at just north of 36k and ahead of the curve instead of far behind it. I'm feeling so good about myself right now I can't describe it. 14k words left for goal!

... I knocked out 6 THOUSAND words putting me at just north of 36k and ahead of the curve instead of far behind it. I'm feeling so good about myself right now I can't describe it. 14k words left for goal!

I knew you could do it!

I'm pulling an all-nighter myself tonight and I'm confidant that I can grind out 5K before a caffeine overdose gives me a heart attack.

Tip: If I quit for the night while I still have thoughts in my head about what to write I find it much easier to pick up the story the next day.

Ah, caffeine. Every writer's wonder drug.

- Thoth.

Okay. I'm not crazy about the ending. I found a plot hole that I plugged with a kludge. And I think the story needs about two more chapters (~40 pages) to be filled out properly.

But I'm saving all that for December.

Now I have to concentrate on my real (i.e. paying) job.

- Thoth.

With six days and 4 hours to go I just logged

54,206 words

FIREWORKS_2_L[1].JPG

Yes! I've contributed (so far) about one thirty-thousandth* of the total NaNoWriMo output to date.

- Thoth

*(1,637,387,680 / 54,206 ~ 30,207)

Congrats I got about 9k left. Gonna polish off about 4k tomorrow I think.

Can I hit 50K?

Does this answer your question?

nano_09_winner_120x240.png

Happy Turkey Day, everybody.

2,300+ posts and 50,000+ NaNo words!

All hail to Champ Thoth, who has earned every bite of his turkey through the sweat of his brow and the calluses on his typing fingers. ;)

And all hail to Champ Calli, who finished faster than any other Storyist. :)

And to the rest of youse, go, go, go: you can do it!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

M

All hail to Champ Thoth, who has earned every bite of his turkey through the sweat of his brow and the calluses on his typing fingers. ;)

Thank you. Thank you. **bowing**

And all hail to Champ Calli, who finished faster than any other Storyist. :)

Truly, she is the NaNo Queen.

Gobble. Gobble.

- Thoth.

Good job Thoth! ;) Aren't you glad I pressed you into it?

Yes. A gentle pressure, to be sure, but I also wanted to see if I could do it. I normally take a long time to write anything because I keep going back to it, changing a word here to alter a shade of meaning, or fixing an irksome typo there. The moments of distraction add up. Once I forced myself to stop doing this I found I could move the story along very quickly.

The second factor, of course, was the time constraint. I didn't think I could spare enough time in a day to hit my personal goal or 2000 words a day. And in the beginning it was difficult to find the time. But towards the end, once I was (more or less) sure where I was going with the story, I was able to hit 3000 and even 4000 words a day (mostly on weekends).

It is definitely a first draft and needs work but it is, at least for the intents and purposes of NaNoWriMo, a done deal.

But look at you, NaNo Queen. You were the first of our little forum to hit 50K. What's your secret? Typing robots? Witchcraft? Space alien assistance? Perhaps a genetically-engineered tentacled writing blob of your own design?

- Thoth.

But look at you, NaNo Queen. You were the first of our little forum to hit 50K. What's your secret? Typing robots? Witchcraft? Space alien assistance? Perhaps a genetically-engineered tentacled writing blob of your own design?

- Thoth.

I've told everyone my secret, over and over: Write or Die. I averaged about 800 words an hour without it, and 1500 with it. And, my spreadsheet tells me, I worked an average of two hours a day. That's a solid two hours of typing though, I probably sat at the computer for six hours "researching" or whatever.

I was hoping it was really something else. Something less annoying. To be frank, I really dislike Write or Die. I'd sooner hire someone to poke me in the side with a sharp stick whenever I started to slack off. But slacking off isn't my problem: it's going back and rewriting things. Oh well.

The genetically-engineered tentacled writing blob seemed like a fun idea.

- Thoth.

It's coming down to the wire and I noticed that our illustrious fearless leader has zoomed into his last 5K. And note that he does all this while still giving full support to his Storyist customers and Turkey Day relatives. In his honor I present (or at least provide a link to):

!

Go Steve Go

Archived