Storyist Forums

The Apple Tablet Event?

Steve E

1) Wait...there are Jews living in New York?

2) Love Orangina! But I've never seen an ad for it. Apparently, I'm missing out. The wiki article didn't have any video. Hell, even the horror movie ad sounded interesting, although in a different way.

3) Coke never really had much cocaine in it, it was the tiniest of trace amounts: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

1) So I hear. (Although there has been some migration North to Westchester County.)

2) Never saw the ad? It was one of the best things about the product. Here's one Julibear might like [Link deleted]. Or maybe this one (

). And here's one for Orren [Link deleted] Sorry, I was unable to find the original.

3) Years ago I had a friend who went to college in Spain. She said that they sold cocaine over the counter in the pharmacy for headaches (to be mixed with water to drink). She said it worked a lot better than aspirin.

- Thoth.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2) Never saw the ad? It was one of the best things about the product. Here's one Julibear might like (...). Or maybe this one (
). And here's one for Orren (...). Sorry, I was unable to find the original.

I enjoyed the French and Hyena ads! They were quite creative I thought. Actually, the "butt ad" you posted just for me isn't my thing—it was quite dull, compared to the first two. Then again, I've never been as enthralled with backsides as I know some men are.

Thanks for the links!

Orren

[Edited]

Speaking of the iPad anyway.... What's everyone's opinion of the name?

I was live-blog watching the Keynote, and the moment I read the name, I immediately said it was terrible. I immediately asked a friend at Apple if there is a single woman there who could have filled the boy's club in on that one. I think it was about 5 minutes before I saw a FaceBook update saying "When iBleed I reach for my iPad." Moreover, Mad TV even had a skit lampooning that. I'm sure they chose it because it has a similar sound to "iPhone" and "iPod" (and of course "pad of paper" and all that) but the jokes were inevitable.

Take care,

Orren

[Edited]

I think it needs a stylus myself, for those who are art inclined and want to use programs like Brushes etc. or for those games where your finger gets in the way of seeing things. I think the same thing for the iPhone. Perhaps the iPad will be better though.

I absolutely agree about an iPad specific stylus, especially for artistic types.

- Thoth.

[Edited]

I absolutely agree about an iPad specific stylus, especially for artistic types.

Ah, I've found one http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php ... when I have to buy my new macbook (which will be really soon unfortunately/fortunately I totally want to buy one along with Inklet. My poor wacom is hanging on to life by a thread and the Cintiq 12wx is still too pricey, especially when I have to get new computers and CS5 is coming out (UGH! I was only starting to adjust to CS4)

[Edited]

I think the Pogo Sketch needs to be pointier. Or at least have a Be Pointier option.

Yes, that'd be nice, but I'm wondering if they would work, since it's designed for things that work with conductive fingers/finger width?

[Edited]

I saw the movie and read the book. I agree, the book was better.

I'm in the middle of it right now. The Movie, the Spec Script (or w/e version it was I read), and the Book are almost completely different animals. I don't think I've ever read a book with so many f words in it though, let alone some other words. :P heh So far I like the movie better though. It's much more poignant and less crass. The writing trips me up some too, but I'm reserving complete judgement until I'm done. Considering I'm more at least 1/2 through in *edit* 24 hours... I like it some anyway. :P

I would have fun writing a book that works the way this one does, jumping around in time and all. You could write a bunch of scenes in no particular order and rearrange them to your heart's content. If you get stuck, just write another scene that feels fun and toss it into the mix. Eventually you'd have to go through them, pick an order and ages, and then link them all together, but I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Sorry Steve! We did wander pretty far. :P

Looks like Anyone who Pre-Orders an iPad is now going to wait until April 12th or late April (wifi vs wifi+3g) for it to ship. The option to pick up in store isn't there either. Yeesh! I wouldn't want to be in an Apple Store on the 3rd. I was in one the other day and heard one of the employees talking about being really excited for it. I think he mentioned stashing a case of Red Bull in the fridge in the back.

Has anyone here ordered one or are we all waiting/not getting one?

Sorry Steve! We did wander pretty far. :P

Looks like Anyone who Pre-Orders an iPad is now going to wait until April 12th or late April (wifi vs wifi+3g) for it to ship. The option to pick up in store isn't there either. Yeesh! I wouldn't want to be in an Apple Store on the 3rd. I was in one the other day and heard one of the employees talking about being really excited for it. I think he mentioned stashing a case of Red Bull in the fridge in the back.

Has anyone here ordered one or are we all waiting/not getting one?

I'd like to see one and hear what the initial reaction is before handing over my $$ (remember the launch of the B&N e-reader? not that I think Apple will be that lame). If that means waiting till April 12, or even longer, I think I will survive.

Best,

M

Here are a ton of iPad tutorial videos. Hotness.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Thanks for the link, TAS. Weirdly, Safari announced that it couldn't find www.apple.com (huh? Isn't Safari an Apple product?). But when I entered the address manually, it worked fine. And it's accurate. Go figure.

Best,

M

I'm having browser problems too. I can't get the videos to work in Chrome. The sound plays, but no picture. Also, It froze up in Safari last night and now they don't play at all. Firefox is working though. They are pretty cool! I really want to play with one and see what it can do.

Anyone know if the iPad can access a shared iTunes library? That would be really cool.

Question: will the iPad become the next thing in higher ed? http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/30/and-so-it-b...all-students-a/

Aw man! That'd be so cool.

Note taking is actually one reason I've got my eye on it. Dragging my laptop around everywhere when I don't need to do photoshop work or stuff like that is a pain and puts a lot of wear and tear on it. It'll be interesting to see how easy typing on it actually is.

A writing app with a stylus and handwriting recognition would be cool. Especially if it was something that you could just write with as if on a piece of paper, with crossing things out and everything.

I'm also wondering if the iPad will get better document creations apps than the iPhone has, since iWork is coming to the iPad. Any one think we'll see similar things, maybe even Darth Processor (word), or do you think Apple has things like that locked out?

I'm also hoping we'll see more image handling things, maybe even Adobe will toss something out there, though I'm skeptical the thing would have enough power to do much let alone an Adobe app making it into the App Store.

uestion: will the iPad become the next thing in higher ed? http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/30/and-so-it-b...all-students-a/

In the early Seventies (very pre-Mac) they said that "soon" every student will have a terminal at hone and attend school in front of a screen, thus alleviating the teacher shortage and twice-daily student commute. I waited in vain. :lol:

I think it would work better if the iPad could do iChat (with a video camera in front).

But a lot of teaching takes place in live student/teacher interaction. I don't know how much of that still goes on.

Still, free iPad! Woot! Woot!

- Thoth.

I think it would work better if the iPad could do iChat (with a video camera in front).

But a lot of teaching takes place in live student/teacher interaction. I don't know how much of that still goes on.

Good point. If that was a feature it may also open up the market to Cyber Charter Schools, (and others) in which online classrooms are used heavily. Of course, who knows if the iPad has the compatibility to do multimedia classroom type things, but it would certainly be a cool concept. I think they should put both a front facing and outward facing camera in it. The same with the iPhone.

- Jools

...I think they should put both a front facing and outward facing camera in it. The same with the iPhone.

- Jools

Better and better. How much do you want to bet that we'll see a camera in iPad 2.0? It's only a matter of time, Jewels. Only a matter of time. But should we wait? Can my poor heart take the pressure? ***AARG***

- Thoth

I'm also wondering if the iPad will get better document creations apps than the iPhone has, since iWork is coming to the iPad. Any one think we'll see similar things, maybe even Darth Processor (word), or do you think Apple has things like that locked out?

Watch the video on Apple's iTunes guided tour that covers Pages. Is there more than that feature set that you'd want?

Orren

Archived