Storyist Forums

A question about changing the focus of the novel towards the end.

thealtruismsociety

Not sure if I am saying that correctly but heres the issue.

I am almost 75k words into my novel, I'm nearing the end here but the love interest of my main character (Who is being written in first person.) is being taken away. I want eventually to detail what happens to him while he's away from here. The entire book so far has been from her perception though. So there are two things I can see doing.

Switch to a first person perspective of his and what he is experiencing switching back and forth from her and him. But will this be disconcerting for those reading up till this point for such a major shift in how the story is told. Or...

Tell it via flashbacks in book 2, but people won't have any idea what happened to him in book 1, even though he appears in the book later, the details of his capture won't be immediately know.

Any thoughts?

Not sure if I am saying that correctly but heres the issue.

I am almost 75k words into my novel, I'm nearing the end here but the love interest of my main character (Who is being written in first person.) is being taken away. I want eventually to detail what happens to him while he's away from here. The entire book so far has been from her perception though. So there are two things I can see doing.

Switch to a first person perspective of his and what he is experiencing switching back and forth from her and him. But will this be disconcerting for those reading up till this point for such a major shift in how the story is told. Or...

Tell it via flashbacks in book 2, but people won't have any idea what happened to him in book 1, even though he appears in the book later, the details of his capture won't be immediately know.

Any thoughts?

Tough one. I think in the long run agents/editors/readers will give you grief about suddenly switching to rotating 1st-person POV 3/4 of the way into the book. But my own view in writing a draft is "Go with whatever will move the novel forward." You can always decide later to leave his fate a mystery or to come up with some other clever solution (ransom notes? diaries transported from the future? muttered speculations that turn out later to be true? clues dropped so that the reader knows even if heroine doesn't?). The important thing right now is for you to know exactly what happens and how it affects him. Best way to do that is by writing it.

My two cents,

Marguerite

Tough one. I think in the long run agents/editors/readers will give you grief about suddenly switching to rotating 1st-person POV 3/4 of the way into the book. But my own view in writing a draft is "Go with whatever will move the novel forward." You can always decide later to leave his fate a mystery or to come up with some other clever solution (ransom notes? diaries transported from the future? muttered speculations that turn out later to be true? clues dropped so that the reader knows even if heroine doesn't?). The important thing right now is for you to know exactly what happens and how it affects him. Best way to do that is by writing it.

My two cents,

Marguerite

I'm thinking of time skipping forward a few weeks and leave what actually happened as a mystery for book two flashbacks.

I'm thinking of time skipping forward a few weeks and leave what actually happened as a mystery for book two flashbacks.

There you go.

There is no rule that says you must completely document every second of every character's actions. Leaving a little mystery could peak your reader's curiosity for book two. Gotta love a mystery.

- Thoth?

And never forget about the letter (as in, someone writing a letter to someone else). A wonderful way to give someone else's perspective without actually switching narrators. It may not fit your story, but it's tried and true.

Orren

And never forget about the letter (as in, someone writing a letter to someone else). A wonderful way to give someone else's perspective without actually switching narrators. It may not fit your story, but it's tried and true.

Orren

It definitely wouldn't fit but thanks ;)

Archived