Storyist Forums

3 pane view and items in the left menu

Is there any way to set certain links on the left, say Notebook pages automatically open in the far right pane in a 3 column view but have other items like Manuscripts open in the middle pane? It's kinda annoying if I need to click on a character bio to get some information and it open in the middle pane. I have to click on the right panel first then click the character entries. This slows me down I'd like to click the bio in the left, have it load in the right panel but return the focus to right where I left off in my story. Is this possible?

Is there any way to set certain links on the left, say Notebook pages automatically open in the far right pane in a 3 column view but have other items like Manuscripts open in the middle pane? It's kinda annoying if I need to click on a character bio to get some information and it open in the middle pane. I have to click on the right panel first then click the character entries. This slows me down I'd like to click the bio in the left, have it load in the right panel but return the focus to right where I left off in my story. Is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you have three panes open (presumably the second and third are workspaces) just click on the far right workspace (selecting it as active) before you click on a Note. When you're finished adjusting it (or whatever) just click on the workspace you're using for your story and continue writing.

Or do I misunderstand?

- Thoth.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you have three panes open (presumably the second and third are workspaces) just click on the far right workspace (selecting it as active) before you click on a Note. When you're finished adjusting it (or whatever) just click on the workspace you're using for your story and continue writing.

Or do I misunderstand?

- Thoth.

You don't think it's clunky to click all the way to the right in order to click an element all the way to the left before clicking the center element again to begin writing? Maybe I'm being a baby. Maybe I can change where the elements are. For instance place the notepad on the far left, the menu items in the middle and my writing on the far right, that way if I need to switch to something I click in order form L to R, active window, select new document, continue writing.

You don't think it's clunky to click all the way to the right in order to click an element all the way to the left before clicking the center element again to begin writing? Maybe I'm being a baby. Maybe I can change where the elements are. For instance place the notepad on the far left, the menu items in the middle and my writing on the far right, that way if I need to switch to something I click in order form L to R, active window, select new document, continue writing.

It's three clicks any way you arrange it. Unless you have some ginormous screen that makes it a true bother to swoosh the pointer from one side to the other, I don't see the problem. I use a huge trackball, myself. I can move from one side of my screen to the other with a single finger motion. It's an unnecessary number of clicks that would make me think "clunky". Overall, I find Steve's arrangement fairly elegant.

But anything can be tweaked. Why not be able to move the Project Pane around? (Are we still calling it that? Project Pane? Seems masochistic.)

That's my 2¢.

- Thoth.

It's three clicks any way arrange it. Unless you have some ginormous screen that makes it a true bother to swoosh the pointer from one side to the other, I don't see the problem. I use a huge trackball, myself. I can move from one side of my screen to the other with a single finger motion. It's an unnecessary number of clicks that would make me think "clunky". Overall, I find Steve's arrangement fairly elegant.

But anything can be tweaked. Why not be able to move the Project Pane around? (Are we still calling it that? Project Pane? Seems masochistic.)

That's my 2¢.

- Thoth.

Well what I said in the first post would take one click, how it currently works takes 3 clicks.

The screen is a 25 inch LCD.

Well what I said in the first post would take one click, how it currently works takes 3 clicks.

The screen is a 25 inch LCD.

So, basically, you want all three panes active at the same time.

I'm unsure how that would work with the menu commands.

This will take some thought.

- Thoth.

So, basically, you want all three panes active at the same time.

I'm unsure how that would work with the menu commands.

This will take some thought.

- Thoth.

No I just want anything click in the left frame to load in the right frame while returning focus to the middle frame.

No I just want anything click in the left frame to load in the right frame while returning focus to the middle frame.

How do you do that without all three panes active at the same time?

Wait. You're right. That's not our problem. It's Steve's.

Let's see if he chooses to comment on this.

- Thoth.

Hi TAS,

With Script Frenzy, 2.2 development, and such I'm a little behind on commenting on feature requests. Sorry!

I understand the desire to minimize the clicks needed to navigate to another split and continue working in the active split. Orren commented on this too. This is easy to solve in the two-pane example, but somewhat more problematic if you have multiple splits or change orientation.

One solution is to name the splits, but that also adds complexity. Let me think about this one.

-Steve

I'm Me-too-ing this if I haven't already. It'd be a nice feature, since I often forget to change the focus of the active pane and therefor lose my place in my manuscript when really I didn't want to affect it at all.

Does anyone know of a good flowchart program for OSX? I could map out what I mean better with one I think.

And Steve when I post an idea, I don't expect any reply really, just adding my 2 cents. What makes Storyist cooler than other application is that you DO respond though, but I wouldn't want you to think it's expected.

Archived