Storyist Forums

A Group To Organize Scene Headings

Steve E

Hi.

I realize that screenplays don't have "Acts" to organize "Scenes" the way stage plays do. But the scene headings, or slug lines, can easily get unwieldily in number with no organizing superstructure. Can anything be done about this? At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any obvious (to me) way of adding a group to organize scene headings.

Yes. I know it's not "standard" but it would be useful in Storyist.

- Thoth

Hi.

I realize that screenplays don't have "Acts" to organize "Scenes" the way stage plays do. But the scene headings, or slug lines, can easily get unwieldily in number with no organizing superstructure. Can anything be done about this? At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any obvious (to me) way of adding a group to organize scene headings.

Yes. I know it's not "standard" but it would be useful in Storyist.

- Thoth

Haha I requested this very thing in another thread not long ago.

http://storyist.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1122

Of course, yours is in the proper location so maybe delete my post?

I second this.

I agree. After TAS brought it up I noticed it too. I think it'd be a useful feature to have a folder or some type of grouping thing for the Screenplay scenes.

I agree. After TAS brought it up I noticed it too. I think it'd be a useful feature to have a folder or some type of grouping thing for the Screenplay scenes.

Here's how you get a scene group:

1. Click on the first scene in your screenplay. It probably says FADE IN:

2. Click the + icon to add a scene. Name it (SCENE GROUP, say).

3. Drag it above FADE IN:

4. Click on the text in the Manuscript Window and change the formatting. Add bold, say.

5. With the style still selected, choose Format > Style > Create new style from selection. Name your style "Heading 1" and make sure "apply style to selection" is checked.

6. Crucial step: With the cursor in the text, choose Format > Edit current style. Set the Outline level (top right) to Heading 1.

Storyist will turn SCENE GROUP into a higher-level unit and stash all the scenes under it.

Next time, you don't have to go through all that. Just add a new scene, select the text in the manuscript pane, and format it as "Heading 1."

There are probably other style names you can use for this, but I had the best results with Heading 1.

Best,

M

Here's how you get a scene group:

1. Click on the first scene in your screenplay. It probably says FADE IN:

2. Click the + icon to add a scene. Name it (SCENE GROUP, say).

3. Drag it above FADE IN:

4. Click on the text in the Manuscript Window and change the formatting. Add bold, say.

5. With the style still selected, choose Format > Style > Create new style from selection. Name your style "Heading 1" and make sure "apply style to selection" is checked.

6. Crucial step: With the cursor in the text, choose Format > Edit current style. Set the Outline level (top right) to Heading 1.

Storyist will turn SCENE GROUP into a higher-level unit and stash all the scenes under it.

Next time, you don't have to go through all that. Just add a new scene, select the text in the manuscript pane, and format it as "Heading 1."

There are probably other style names you can use for this, but I had the best results with Heading 1.

Best,

M

Think I'd rather wait till it's a simple folder. Thats all I want, not a hack. Thanks though.

Hey,

Thanks M! It worked perfectly.

TAS, I agree, a folder might be better, but that feature may not be added for a while (who can predict the whims of Steve!).

I saved it as a template, and I'm uploading it in the sharing section for those who may not feel like trying to make it on their own.

Cheers!

- Jules

Think I'd rather wait till it's a simple folder. Thats all I want, not a hack. Thanks though.

It's not a hack. It's making use of features already in the software. That's how those templates are created. And as Jules notes, you go through the process once and save it as a new template. Since she's been gracious enough to upload hers, now you don't even need to do that.

All I did was look at the stage play template and figure out how Steve had set up the acts there. All the steps were in the program help files/user guide.

Regards,

Marguerite

All I did was look at the stage play template and figure out how Steve had set up the acts there. All the steps were in the program help files/user guide.

Hmm. I suppose it's about time I re-read that.

Again, my thanks.

- Thoth

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm. I suppose it's about time I re-read that.

Again, my thanks.

- Thoth

P.S. If you don't want the "ACT I," "DAY 3," or whatever to print, edit the style and set the type to white. Then All you see is an extra line of space above one or two scene headings in the manuscript, but the group still shows up in the Project Pane. (Just don't nuke the group in the manuscript by accident.) I keep the Inspector open at Styles and look for it to jump to Heading 1, just in case.

Best,

M

P.S. If you don't want the "ACT I," "DAY 3," or whatever to print, edit the style and set the type to white. Then All you see is an extra line of space above one or two scene headings in the manuscript, but the group still shows up in the Project Pane. (Just don't nuke the group in the manuscript by accident.) I keep the Inspector open at Styles and look for it to jump to Heading 1, just in case.

Best,

M

Good advice.

Again, my thanks.

- Thoth

Archived