Storyist Forums

"Nice to Have" feature: Add Word Count

orrenm

If this is easy to add, it would be a nice addition. But it's not a vital feature. I've been submitting my short story around, and every magazine so far (as well as SFWA guidelines) has asked for the Word Count in the top corner. Also, one of the publishers I submitted sample manuscript chapters from my novel asked for the Word Count also to be added to the front page. That got me thinking, it would be a very nice convenience if like Auto Page Numbering, we could simply insert the symbol for "word count" and the running word count from the bottom info bar would be echoed in our document.

As I said, this isn't a major deal, since it tends to be something that only needs to be added once at the end of the process. But it would be nice to be automatic, because you might add the word count to your story, then at a later date go back and edit, which will change the word count, so you re-add it, etc.

This isn't as important as auto chapter numbering, for example. :lol: That's why I labeled this a "nice to have" feature, but not vital. Especially if it ended up slowing down the program, etc. OTOH if it's the sort of simple thing that can be added without any repercussions in ten minutes, why not, right?

Orren

If this is easy to add, it would be a nice addition. But it's not a vital feature. I've been submitting my short story around, and every magazine so far (as well as SFWA guidelines) has asked for the Word Count in the top corner. Also, one of the publishers I submitted sample manuscript chapters from my novel asked for the Word Count also to be added to the front page. That got me thinking, it would be a very nice convenience if like Auto Page Numbering, we could simply insert the symbol for "word count" and the running word count from the bottom info bar would be echoed in our document.

As I said, this isn't a major deal, since it tends to be something that only needs to be added once at the end of the process. But it would be nice to be automatic, because you might add the word count to your story, then at a later date go back and edit, which will change the word count, so you re-add it, etc.

This isn't as important as auto chapter numbering, for example. :lol: That's why I labeled this a "nice to have" feature, but not vital. Especially if it ended up slowing down the program, etc. OTOH if it's the sort of simple thing that can be added without any repercussions in ten minutes, why not, right?

Orren

Not vital but could be cool. I'm all for saving a few seconds every document, they add up.

Archived