Storyist Forums

Video Tutorials

Fizchick

Writing as I may, I would REALLY LOVE to have some of them video tutorials to teach me how to best use Storyist.

Getting through the guide and written stuff, was a real challenge and a testament to how much I wanted to use the program and am happy I did, but I still wonder how much of it am I not using to it's fullest?

I was even hoping to find some independent You tube videos.

I did find one of Steve in 2008 explaining it at a conference. Even that was helpful.

And, it would have been helpful to better show it to a fellow writer at a NaNo write-in who was also getting a tour of another program who does have an extensive video tutorial library and I wanted to win the "my Storyist software is the best" battle.

Geeky ego.

As Thoth point out there are specific screencasts on how to accomplish particular tasks. Having made tutorial videos myself, it's always easier when you have a very specific goal in mind (such as "explain how to export to Kindle") than a very general goal ("give new users a general sense of what Storyist can do"). Why not start a thread in which you specifically ask for tutorial screencasts on a particular aspect of Storyist? Or multiple screencasts?

Orren

Hello again, Fizchick.

There are a few videos here which may be of help.

But you're right: we want more! (Heck. We always want more. That's our job as Users.)

- Thoth

yes, yes! Like these- exactly- for novel writing.

It did not occur to me to go to the website- I typed in tutorials and video tutorials in the HELP button in the software.

Crazy.

and hello again to you Thoth, so nice to run into you outside of our NaNo neighborhood.

As Thoth point out there are specific screencasts on how to accomplish particular tasks. Having made tutorial videos myself, it's always easier when you have a very specific goal in mind (such as "explain how to export to Kindle") than a very general goal ("give new users a general sense of what Storyist can do"). Why not start a thread in which you specifically ask for tutorial screencasts on a particular aspect of Storyist? Or multiple screencasts?

Orren

brilliant. thank you.

I shall.

• 4 months later...

Echo and re-affirming the request for a video tutorial(s) on using Storyist for novelists.

Yesterday, I was excited when I downloaded & bought Storyist. Today, I'm despondent...I know less about using the tool after thrashing around for a day than I did before I heard of it. Even after reading the User's Guide, I can't figure out how to structure the files in my story (e.g., Title Page, copyrights, preface, prelude, Chapter 1, etc.) and am royally confused by Sections, Plot, Notebooks, etc. It seems like wherever I try to add something (after reading the manual) I destroy something else and can't get the outcome I anticipate.

Also, I'm unable to import .RFT files and the Keyboard Shortcuts list doesn't display.

Please accept this posting as a request for a video tutorial for novelists which offers the same level of explanation as does the video for screenwriters.

Thank you.

Hi, Playne Writer—

All the things that are giving you trouble (except displaying the keyboard shortcuts, which I haven't tried) are things I do often and with ease. I'd hate for you to give up on Storyist because you haven't learned how to do these things yet. Have you considered (1) searching the forums, where I among others have posted detailed instructions for importing via RTF, say; or (2) posting a specific question to the forums?

To get you started, the easiest way to add anything is to click in the approximate place (in the manuscript section of the project view if you want to add a chapter, on the chapter if you want to add a section, on the line that says NOTEBOOK if you want to add a note, etc.), then click on the gear menu at the bottom right corner of the project view and choose Add, then whatever you want to add.

The project view is the list of manuscript, characters, etc. I keep mine on the left, but yours may be on the right.

If you have added one section (chapter, character, setting, note) and would like to add another, click the + sign at the bottom left.

And if you are typing along and just want a new section, type # and return, then choose Section Separator from the style list (Inspector, Styles). Give the new section a name by typing or double-clicking, and type the next part of your story.

Stash your title page, copyright info, and other addenda in the notebook for now. I keep mine in a note group called Addenda. You may prefer not to bother with note groups until you feel more comfortable with the program. In any case, the Novel template includes a sample title page that you can edit as needed.

And welcome to the forums. As you will find out, this is a very friendly place.

Best,

Marguerite

...and the Keyboard Shortcuts list doesn't display.

Hello, Plane Wryter.

Welcome to the forum.

And, yes, if you click Help>Keyboard Shortcuts, the Keyboard Shortcuts list doesn't display. It seems to be a newly introduced bug. (I'll report it after I finish this.)

If you click Help>Keyboard Shortcuts or Help>Storyist Help, what happens is that you activate the Help Viewer. If you then enter "keyboard shortcuts" into the Help Viewer Search Field you will get three responses, the first one is the Keyboard Shortcuts. Double-click that and you'll get a long list of Storyist's keyboard shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

-Thoth

P.S. Nice to have you back, M.

... if you click Help>Keyboard Shortcuts, the Keyboard Shortcuts list doesn't display. It seems to be a newly introduced bug. (I'll report it after I finish this.)

UPDATE:

Hello again, PW.

Steve tells me that this is a problem limited to some Tiger and Leopard machines. (Snow Leopard seems to be immune.) He suspects that it was the result of using a new Apple developer tool.

Apple could be a little more helpful to their friendly neighborhood developers, it seems to me. They should have tested their tools on Tiger and Leopard before releasing them. And if they did they should have passed along their notes. But perhaps they just missed this one. In any event, Steve's on the case and will solve the problem.

In the meantime, you can still type "keyboard shortcuts" into the Help Viewer Search field to get what you want. Until you are familiar with the shortcuts you always have the option of keeping the Help Viewer window in the background.

Consider yourself updated.

- Thoth

Archived