Storyist Forums

Script Page Counts

Steve E

In a moment of madness I considered joining Script Frenzy in April 2010. As you know, the idea is to write a 100+ page script in a month. The script is then converted to a PDF and (somehow*) uploaded to the page-counting software. I've been thinking of using Storyist for this (as opposed to Final Draft) but why should I have to output to a PDF format every time I want to know how many pages I've written? Shouldn't there be something in Storyist to tell me how many pages are in my script? Since the goal is to write 100 pages (as opposed to 50,000 words in NaNoWriMo) isn't this a serious shortcoming?

Still flush from his NaNo victory.

- Thoth

*Could someone who has been through Script Frenzy explain to me how the verification process works. I read the FAQ and my writing-muddled mind is still a bit confused. It doesn't seem anything like the NaNoWriMo verification process.

I don't know. :/ I hadn't thought about it yet. Let's see... Oh, I see what you mean... the header in the Story template tells you what page it is, but there's nothing like that for the Screenplay template. If there is, I can't find it either. Hm. Well, Google docs has a word count feature that gives you an approximate page count, so maybe you could copy it into there during the month and sort of gauge where you are?

I don't know. :/ I hadn't thought about it yet. Let's see... Oh, I see what you mean... the header in the Story template tells you what page it is, but there's nothing like that for the Screenplay template. If there is, I can't find it either. Hm. Well, Google docs has a word count feature that gives you an approximate page count, so maybe you could copy it into there during the month and sort of gauge where you are?

Am I missing something?

1. Create a new script using the Screenplay template. Click on the boilerplate text.

2. Make sure text is in Page Layout Mode. Choose View > Show Page Guides. See the header window appear.

3. Click in it. Choose Edit > Insert Page Number. Page number appears. Add any additional text (last name / title /)

4. Select the text and align right, adjust font, whatever.

5. While text is still selected, choose Format > Style > Create new style from selection. Give the new style a name and make sure that the box next to apply style to selection on closing is checked. Choose OK.

Go on with your screen play, secure that your pages will be numbered. See attached for an example.

BTW, the Inspector doesn't seem to be working in 2.1.4 beta. Off to make a bug report.

Cheers,

Marguerite.

Am I missing something?

1. Create a new script using the Screenplay template. Click on the boilerplate text.

2. Make sure text is in Page Layout Mode. Choose View > Show Page Guides. See the header window appear.

3. Click in it. Choose Edit > Insert Page Number. Page number appears. Add any additional text (last name / title /)

4. Select the text and align right, adjust font, whatever.

5. While text is still selected, choose Format > Style > Create new style from selection. Give the new style a name and make sure that the box next to apply style to selection on closing is checked. Choose OK.

Go on with your screen play, secure that your pages will be numbered. See attached for an example.

BTW, the Inspector doesn't seem to be working in 2.1.4 beta. Off to make a bug report.

Cheers,

Marguerite.

M, you are (insert appropriate adjective here). You just saved my day. Thank you very much for that.

However, the Inspector seems to work here in 2.1.4beta. Odd.

• 3 months later...
For the archives: page counts are displayed next to the word counts in version 2.1.6 and later.

-Steve

Steve FYI, when you highlight a group of words, say I want to see how many words chapter 16 is if I highlight the whole chapter it tells me hows many words are highlighted, but still give the full page count. Shouldn't this action of highlighting a range of text give the page count for the text highlighted?

• 2 weeks later...
Steve FYI, when you highlight a group of words, say I want to see how many words chapter 16 is if I highlight the whole chapter it tells me hows many words are highlighted, but still give the full page count. Shouldn't this action of highlighting a range of text give the page count for the text highlighted?

That would be a nice addition. Thanks TAS.

-Steve

Archived