Storyist Forums

Started my new novel today, well one of them

thealtruismsociety

Hmmmm... to me all four of those are similar enough to pass in a pinch, though gawks is the one that sounds the most different to me, because I get a definite "awww" sound in that, but not in the others. Interestingly enough, I find the amount of L sound I use in walk, walks, and walking, varies a lot.

I don't know if we grew up in a similar area. His current twitter location is AZ, which is a long ways away from PA. NY is closer to me.

Hm, I've never heard A-gan. Is A-gain recognized too? Or only A-gan and A-gen?

I am curious now too. Maybe TAS will be kind enough to share a recording of him reading his poem.

- Jules

Hmmmm... to me all four of those are similar enough to pass in a pinch, though gawks is the one that sounds the most different to me, because I get a definite "awww" sound in that, but not in the others. Interestingly enough, I find the amount of L sound I use in walk, walks, and walking, varies a lot.

Interesting. I don't pronounce the "w" in "gawk". There's no "awww" for me. (Aw.)

I don't know if we grew up in a similar area. His current twitter location is AZ, which is a long ways away from PA. NY is closer to me.

Yes but NY (at least NYC) contains about a zillion regional accents. My original accent (which I don't think of as an accent. All of you have accents. Not me.) is a cross between South Bronx (think Robert De Niro), Southern Connecticut (think James Stewart), and Lower Manhattan (think John Astin).

Hm, I've never heard A-gan. Is A-gain recognized too? Or only A-gan and A-gen?

Just open the OAD in the Mac OS. There's a pronunciation guide.

I am curious now too. Maybe TAS will be kind enough to share a recording of him reading his poem.

Let's hope.

- Thoth.

I don't understand those official pronunciation thingys, though it doesn't look like a-gain is recognized. Maybe it is just a poetic pronunciation.

So you're like Jimmy Stewart, Rober De Niro, and that other guy I had to look up, but recognized from the adams family? That's an interesting combination. Maybe we should start another thread on pronunciation and get everyone to put up a recording. :) You might find this site interesting: http://web.ku.edu/~idea/

- J

I don't understand those official pronunciation thingys, though it doesn't look like a-gain is recognized. Maybe it is just a poetic pronunciation.

Could be. Anything goes in a poem.

So you're like Jimmy Stewart, Rober De Niro, and that other guy I had to look up, but recognized from the adams family?

So I've been told. BTW: John Astin has been in well over a hundred movies and has directed more than a dozen. But for some reason people only seem to recognize him as Gomez Addams from The Addams Family TV show. I guess it's like Leonard Nimoy and Spock. Astin is currently working on Starship II: Rendezvous with Ramses (now in post-production) as Professor Peabody. Ah, showbiz.

That's an interesting combination. Maybe we should start another thread on pronunciation and get everyone to put up a recording. :) You might find this site interesting: http://web.ku.edu/~idea/

I'll take a look/listen. Thanks.

- Thoth

My dad was in the Air Force so I travelled a lot of places and prob picked up little bits of dialect from here and there.

Pretty much everything Julia said is how I pronounce stuff.

And as far as a rhyme, imo as long as the emphasis of the words are the same, your mind will rhyme them.

As always please don't take my rough draft as anything close to being final. Everything is subject to change.

PLEASE ignore punctuation lol

Within a forest dressed with snow

A tiny girl with freckles goes

She runs and jumps and plays alive

Without the worries held inside

Of most adults, women and men

But wait! I should begin again

To say the girl who laughs and plays

Our Heroine. Her name is Fey

Her first is Fey, her last it is

Hargrove, a most amazing kid

Now Fey was unaware this morn

The story that I tell was born

Oblivious, she runs and skips

While swatting at the air with sticks

She grabs a flower as she walks

To nestle in her tressled locks

The flower has a light blue stem

With petals tinged with white within

In all the world it's only here

This flower grows throughout the year

Now Fey her nature is to roam

Exploring lands quite far from home

But on this day she's ventured forth

With young abandon, heading North

The Hargroves have since times long past

Lived at the end of Badgers pass

A lonely road of mud and dirt

Which few if any chance to skirt

And North of them lay unexplored

A forest of most wondrous lore

Where no one seems inclined to tread

For Dragons live there some have said

But Fey is just too young to care

About the tales of Weyvryns there

Despite what Ma and Da have said

She travels further on instead

Until at last she comes to pass

The furthest point that this young lass

Had ever dared to tread before

She takes a step and then one more

Then two, then three, then leaps and bounds

Her leather boots speed over ground

Embedding in the virgin fall

Of snow her path of footprints small

The wind it whips between the trees

And Fey she feels the icy breeze

From out her patchwork coat she pulls

Two mittens made of purple wool

Now as she roams across the earth

An eye observes her meager worth

The iris is reptilian

Which widens in surprised chagrin

At seeing this young skipping girl

Intruding on his mood and world

The creature snorts and when it spoke

It's words were tinged with flame and smoke

"Here now young girl!" The creature roars

"I haven't seen you here before!"

And Fey upon this thunderous cry

Looks towards the source with widened eyes

And there amongst the mighty trees

A Wey sat, dwarfing her with ease

With armoured plates of blackest night

And corded ropes of muscled might

SQUEE!!! I love it! Awesome! It gives a bit of history and really endears the girl to the reader and gives you a sense of her personality. I'm glad you mentioned the word Dragon before Weyvyrns so the reader knows what it means. A few parts were a bit bumpy, but it'll all work out in the polishing phase. I hope you keep posting it. I really like it.

Hmm I don't have the ability to do audio now strangely.

If you want to hear my "rhyme" though here's a link, should be all rated G, hehe.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=835351

One song and two radio drops.

Rap World Look Out: Here comes Phil (Harmonic) Hanson!

It's funny how your recorded voice never sounds like your speaking voice sounds to your own ears. But I was glad to finally here it. Now I have a voice to go along with the image in my head. (You know what I mean.)

"We need a revolution!" - Hanson (not the boy band).

"We need an evolution." - Thoth (not the parade or tarot deck).

- T

It's funny how your recorded voice never sounds like your speaking voice sounds to your own ears. But I was glad to finally here it. Now I have a voice to go along with the image in my head. (You know what I mean.)

I agree. Nice sounds!

- J

Archived