Storyist Forums

Mac OS 10.7 Lion

Steve E

Hi all.

I was rather hoping Apple would go with Dragon but they seem to have settled on Lion.

I ran across this article from October 2010 and it speculates a bit on what Lion, due in the Summer of 2011, will be like. It seems that it will be highly influenced by Apple's iOS.

Here's the article.

Enjoy

- Thoth

• 2 weeks later...
Man, I just updated to Snow Leopard. Sheesh!

You think you have problems? I'm still running Tiger on a PowerPC G5! My upgrade to Lion (if I ever get around to it) will be an expensive painful nightmare. And to think, in 2005 I was bleeding edge. Technology marches on.

Riding my Tiger right next to your Leopard.

Giddy-up.

- Thoth

I still have that exact computer/OS too, Thoth. I don't really use it anymore though. I actually need to get all my stuff off it and sell the darn thing...

Lion looks interesting, but I think they coulda picked a better name.... like Serval or Cougar :(

I still run Tiger on my PPC G5 every few weeks—just not for Storyist, which works very well on Snow Leopard. And since I expect to have to keep the PPC going forever, I hope it cooperates!

The Lion preview did not impress me. Maybe as it gets closer to release, some cool feature will surface, but so far, it seems to be mostly about the App Store. And that's launching Jan. 6, so it will run on Snow Leopard.

Agreed on the name. Lion? They couldn't do better than that? Ocelot? Tigress? Abyssinian? How about Lynx?! :(

Or they could start in on cat goddesses: Bastet or Sekhmet. Thoth would feel right at home, then. ;)

M

I still have that exact computer/OS too, Thoth. I don't really use it anymore though. I actually need to get all my stuff off it and sell the darn thing...

You are in an enviable position, my friend. I have a Power Mac 7500 (remember the front loading CD tray and the slot loading diskettes?). I keep it around because I still get old media from customers sometimes.

Lion looks interesting, but I think they coulda picked a better name.... like Serval or Cougar :(

I wanted Dragon. Probably a guy thing. Perhaps after you upgrade to Lion we can call you Jullion. ;)

- Thoth

I still run Tiger on my PPC G5 every few weeks—just not for Storyist, which works very well on Snow Leopard. And since I expect to have to keep the PPC going forever, I hope it cooperates!

Fingers crossed, but the future no longer looks bright for our aging Tiger.

The Lion preview did not impress me. Maybe as it gets closer to release, some cool feature will surface, but so far, it seems to be mostly about the App Store. And that's launching Jan. 6, so it will run on Snow Leopard.

I figure they're working on a marriage of Mac OS and iOS features this time around. Each will look more like the other as time goes by. (Like in real marriages. :( )

Agreed on the name. Lion? They couldn't do better than that? Ocelot? Tigress? Abyssinian? How about Lynx?! ;)

If they really wanted to scare the competition they could have gone with Cthulhu (K'too-loo).

Or they could start in on cat goddesses: Bastet or Sekhmet. Thoth would feel right at home, then. ;)

Aw. Feeling better. :)

Thanks M.

-Thoth

I was thinking Ocelot as well, but I really like Lynx. I actually thought of that a while ago and was hoping they'd do that.

I like Dragon too, but it's not a cat.. Maybe they could use Gryffin, which is half cat, to jump into the fantasy creatures.. then they could do Dragon

I really like Bastet and Sekhmet too.

M is right that it's not loaded with too many new features, but I am excited for app screens on my Mac, since for me an app out of site is an app out of mind, so I generally forget about and don't use a bunch of apps I have because they're stuck in my app folder and I never see them. Having an app screen will get them in front of me, so hopefully I'll remember to check some of them out!

Jullion reminds me of Bullion :(

- Jools

ps. I think this thread is Deja Vu to another thread where we listed out a bunch of names they could use too. Haha

ps. I think this thread is Deja Vu to another thread where we listed out a bunch of names they could use too. Haha

You're right. It does sound familiar. But I can't remember the thread. Does anyone?

Does this list sound familiar?

Version 9.0: "Sonata"

Version 9.1: "Fortissimo"

Version 9.2: "Moonlight"

Version 10 Public Beta: "Kodiak"

Version 10.0: "Cheetah"

Version 10.1: "Puma"

Version 10.2: "Jaguar"

Version 10.3: "Panther"

Version 10.4: "Tiger"

Version 10.5: "Leopard"

Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"

Version 10.7: "Lion"

It seems like Apple went from a kind of music theme to a cat theme. Where Mac OS 11 will go is anybody's guess.

Wish me Dragons.

-Thoth

• 3 months later...

I'm looking forward to Mac OS XI 11.3 "Flounder" :)

Orren

*snick snick* Now I've got "Part of Your World" stuck in my head. Do you think Disney would license Flounder from Little Mermaid for the packaging?

I like Sphynx. Though, you better watch out because they might think of this type of Sphynx:

canadian-sphynx-cat.jpg

I wonder what you'd get if you mated that type of Sphynx with an English Bulldog?

I mean, besides enough skin to go parasailing.

Glad to have you back, JG. The Bronx Underground never even spotted you, Oh Stealthy One. I even had my telescope out and could only spot Joolie-shaped blurs.

Do Lion's like Codfish? (Just getting back on topic. Nah! :lol: )

-Thoth

I'm waiting for OSX Liger.

Liger: the hybrid offspring of a male lion and a tigress. Compare with tigon. -Oxford American Dictionary.

Sounds like it's on the scale between Tiger and Lion. OSX 10.6.9?

How does this sort of thing happen, anyway?

Zookeeping must be a very lonely profession.

;)

-Thoth.

• 1 year later...

Archived