Storyist Forums

And They're Off !

Steve E

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I have a tad too much novel in my script though lol. Some of my action sequences may be a little ... beefy, hehe.

Worry about that on re-write.

Mine too. I console myself with the words of Michael Hauge (author of Writing Screenplays That Sell), who says that most amateur scripts have too much dialogue and too little action. He recommends very specific descriptions of what your characters are doing. Apparently that's okay. What's frowned on is telling the actors how to deliver a line or the director how to shoot a particular scene.

Script Frenzy's Writer Resources section gives links to screenplay sites. I haven't checked whether the sites have the screenplays that interest you, but they have a pretty good selection of scripts in every stage from first draft to final. (But I see Julia already gave you the exact links. Missed that. Way to go, Jules!)

Best,

M

Mine too. I console myself with the words of Michael Hauge (author of Writing Screenplays That Sell), who says that most amateur scripts have too much dialogue and too little action. He recommends very specific descriptions of what your characters are doing. Apparently that's okay. What's frowned on is telling the actors how to deliver a line or the director how to shoot a particular scene.

Script Frenzy's Writer Resources section gives links to screenplay sites. I haven't checked whether the sites have the screenplays that interest you, but they have a pretty good selection of scripts in every stage from first draft to final. (But I see Julia already gave you the exact links. Missed that. Way to go, Jules!)

Best,

M

:)

Ah ha! Cast Away has many sequences of very long action and little dialogue. Score.

Cool! I might have to read them myself!

- J

I'm gonna get to at least 80 this weekend!

Way to go!

Also bought the domain name for my script and got my new website/blog platform running.

Well, they say you have to spend money to make money.

Amusing blog. So, a girl with an infinity tattoo? I knew a girl with an ankh tattooed on her forehead. She said that it prevented the Reaper from taking her soul. Strange girl.

- Thoth

I think Marguerite caught up with me.

But good news is I also have my album competely mapped out with beats ready to go. Think I'll be recording this summer.

I see that both you and M are at 80 pages — and it's only the 12th, not halfway through the month! See? I told you this would be easy. It's just a matter of finding the time...and the inspiration.

- Thoth

I see that both you and M are at 80 pages — and it's only the 12th, not halfway through the month! See? I told you this would be easy. It's just a matter of finding the time...and the inspiration.

- Thoth

Yes, I made huge progress over the weekend. Wrote pretty much nonstop. But this was the part I already had well worked out, so it was easy. I have about another 10 pages before I dump myself into No Plot Land, although I'm hoping I can squeeze 20 out of the existing ramblings before I really have to sweat out the ending in blood. (Crafting the nonexistent ending is the whole point of this exercise, although I've found it really useful in terms of jettisoning complicated plot points that it turns out I don't really need, thus freeing up space for character development and the like.)

I think the whole thing will run about 120 pages, which is not too ridiculous. With any luck I'll even have time to smooth out the inconsistencies before April runs out.... But as soon as I have 100 scramble-able pages, I can set those aside and keep going. :)

But Thoth, you have 56 pages, right? So you're more than half the way there with less than half the month gone. Not shabby at all! And Steve has managed to finish 1/3 of his despite fielding our demands and putting out a new beta.

Way to go, Storyists!

M

As noted in post #33, the average page count for The Frenzy is about 50 pages per participant.

I'm feeling a little bad for Calli. The demands of the "real" world seem to be keeping her from even starting. I hope I didn't talk her into adding one more distraction to her month against her better judgement. Nah. Probably not.

- Thoth

Yes, I made huge progress over the weekend. Wrote pretty much nonstop. But this was the part I already had well worked out, so it was easy. I have about another 10 pages before I dump myself into No Plot Land, although I'm hoping I can squeeze 20 out of the existing ramblings before I really have to sweat out the ending in blood. (Crafting the nonexistent ending is the whole point of this exercise, although I've found it really useful in terms of jettisoning complicated plot points that it turns out I don't really need, thus freeing up space for character development and the like.)

I think the whole thing will run about 120 pages, which is not too ridiculous. With any luck I'll even have time to smooth out the inconsistencies before April runs out.... But as soon as I have 100 scramble-able pages, I can set those aside and keep going. :lol:

But Thoth, you have 56 pages, right? So you're more than half the way there with less than half the month gone. Not shabby at all! And Steve has managed to finish 1/3 of his despite fielding our demands and putting out a new beta.

Way to go, Storyists!

M

Think mine will end at 100ish, then whiddle it to 90 but a tight 90.

Worth noting: The Frenzy now has over 20,000 participants who have written over 1,000,000 pages so far.

That averages out to about 50 pages each!

And it's only the 9th. How have you been doing?

Okay. Now I'm confused. Frenzy had said that the 2010 total page count was a million something. Now they say it's 170,270 pages. For only 20,709 writers that's only about eight-and-a-quarter pages per writer. And it's almost half-way over! I suppose it makes more sense to assume that the million-page figure referred to total page count since the first Frenzy. If that's the case, and the average is really only a little over eight pages, then we Storyists are doing brilliantly! So:

Storyists Doing Brilliantly

At The Frenzy.

Proud of you all.

- Thoth.

Okay. Now I'm confused. Frenzy had said that the 2010 total page count was a million something. Now they say it's 170,270 pages. For only 20,709 writers that's only about eight-and-a-quarter pages per writer. And it's almost half-way over! I suppose it makes more sense to assume that the million-page figure referred to total page count since the first Frenzy. If that's the case, and the average is really only a little over eight pages, then we Storyists are doing brilliantly! So:

Storyists Doing Brilliantly

At The Frenzy.

Proud of you all.

- Thoth.

We Rock.

Indeed we do, and especially you, TAS. And M. You both ROCK.

- Thoth

Thanks! But at 70 pages aren't you at least a Rockette? :) No need for excessive modesty among writing buddies....

A round of over-muffins for all! :D

Hoping to hit 90 pages before Friday and finish this weekend. Since each of us is a minimum of 60 pages over the average, what are those other slackers doing? ;)

Best,

M

Thanks! But at 70 pages aren't you at least a Rockette? :) No need for excessive modesty among writing buddies....

Can you pick me out of the lineup?

summerintensive.jpg

Hoping to hit 90 pages before Friday and finish this weekend. Since each of us is a minimum of 60 pages over the average, what are those other slackers doing? ;)

Probably silly things like making a living, climbing Everest or swimming across an ocean. But Calli hasn't even gotten her feet wet. What's she waiting for?

- Thoth

Archived