Storyist Forums

My Official Word Count Announcement Thread

thealtruismsociety

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shake and bake.

Ah. The ancient secret to exquisite hair and makeup. A slap with a hot frying pan gets me ready in the mornings.

And on a more appropriate note: broke 27K today, which keeps me right on schedule.

In this second half of the month I'm going to strive to pull ahead.

- Thoth

Ah. The ancient secret to exquisite hair and makeup. A slap with a hot frying pan gets me ready in the mornings.

And on a more appropriate note: broke 27K today, which keeps me right on schedule.

In this second half of the month I'm going to strive to pull ahead.

- Thoth

26,800 for me, but yesterday was a huge chore, unlike today or any other day this month. Not sure what was wrong with me, but I'm still 150 words ahead of the timetable so I'm in good shape.

ok- not sure why I did not get the cool "quote" box above...

I suspect you accidently left out the closing quote tag.

... finally passed 25,000 today and I am happy that it was less painful than I would imagine passing a kidney stone...

Passing half a book versus passing a kidney stone: yes, there are similarities. Actually, I've heard writing a book more closely compared to giving birth (to a book!): it takes about as long and screws up your eating and sleeping habits.

Halfway done, so I guess it's all downhill from here. :)

- Thoth

Passing half a book versus passing a kidney stone: yes, there are similarities.

Kidney stone was the worst pain I've ever been in, and I've ran two miles with stress fractures in both tibiae.

Three people at the hospital told me (separately) that women who have given birth say kidney stones were worse than childbirth, and that others said it was on par with childbirth.

Doesn't make me particularly keen to start having babies.

But a book? Writing?

I can do that.

Kidney stone was the worst pain I've ever been in...

When I was diagnosed they said it was already in my bladder and the worst was over. This statement was based on the fact that the ureter (kidney to bladder tube) is much narrower than the urethra (bladder to toilet tube). They lied.

... I've ran two miles with stress fractures in both tibiae.

Jinkies Calli! Why didn't you just stop running? That's the kind of selfless dedication to a goal that makes women think men are idiots. So, women are crazy too. Good to know.

Three people at the hospital told me (separately) that women who have given birth say kidney stones were worse than childbirth, and that others said it was on par with childbirth.

Isn't it interesting that it's usually men who say that passing a kidney stone is like giving birth. How do they know?

Doesn't make me particularly keen to start having babies.

Memorize these four words: "Give me an epidural." Modern childbirth can be a beautiful and simultaneously disgusting thing. Much like Nature Shows, it is best experienced on video.

But a book? Writing?

I can do that.

I was equating physical pain with emotional pain but I/we are ever so happy that you're still in the game.

See you at the finish line.

- Thoth

Thoth: I was in the Army and I had to do it to get out of bootcamp. :)

Annnnd I'm pretty sure I've given up on NaNo. I haven't written in over a week.

Heartbroken but...more candy for me and TAS!

As for me, I prepared for this, Calli, and still have that gung-ho Army spirit.

I'm a day ahead of schedule: BOO-YAH!

- Thoth.

P.S. I'm not really good at pep talks, but I know that just because you fall off a horse doesn't mean you can't get back on and cross the finish line a little late. Unless you break a leg or something. And the horse falls on you. Compound fractures suck and take a long time to heal and...well, I told you I wasn't good at pep talks.

P.S. I'm not really good at pep talks, but I know that just because you fall off a horse doesn't mean you can't get back on and cross the finish line a little late. Unless you break a leg or something. And the horse falls on you. Compound fractures suck and take a long time to heal and...well, I told you I wasn't good at pep talks.

What about pep rallies and shaking pom-poms? rah! rah!

And, I am typing past 28,000 and see the purple "be here" line getting closer and closer...

rah! rah!

What about pep rallies and shaking pom-poms? rah! rah!

Last time I shook my pom-poms at someone she fainted dead away. Such is the power of my pom-pom*.

And, I am typing past 28,000 and see the purple "be here" line getting closer and closer...

rah! rah!

Broke 36K and am 2 days ahead of schedule. No brag, ma'am. Just fact.

-Thoth.

*Pointless footnote. Pom-pom is, by some, believed to have originated with the French word pompon (meaning tassel), referring to the tightly clustered petals of the chrysanthemum or dahlia.

who knew?

the students in my friend's (she's the teacher) kindergarten class have funky names - great inspiration for characters.

Great! Lay some of those funky names on us, Fizchick.

Kids today- not a Jennifer or a Michael in the bunch. huh.

Of course, it is California...

According to the Social Security Administration's Popular Baby Names website, the most popular American boy name in 2009 was Jacob and the most popular American girl name was Isabella (except in California where you mileage may vary). If you're writing historical fiction you can use the site to find popular American baby names for any year after 1879.

-Thoth (most popular baby name from 664 BC thru 332 BC)

Great! Lay some of those funky names on us, Fizchick.

According to the Social Security Administration's Popular Baby Names website, the most popular American boy name in 2009 was Jacob and the most popular American girl name was Isabella (except in California where you mileage may vary). If you're writing historical fiction you can use the site to find popular American baby names for any year after 1879.

My favorites that have become characters- Khriz, Jolette, Efren, Janeth, Xander...

Funny (to me) I never considered writing historical fiction...but then in my previous life as a costume designer, I never enjoyed doing realistic period pieces either... too many rules...

PS- I'm embarrassed to note that those current popular names are Twilight inspired. Books inspire...

Archived